Utrecht, 28 July 2020 | 4 minutes 

Hooray, 5G is born! Today 5G was officially switched on by KPN and T-mobile. They still have a few days ago paid hundreds of millions for the required frequencies. The 5G frequencies yielded the Dutch state 1,23 billion euros to be precise. With the major providers such as VodafoneZiggo (416 million euros), T-mobile (400 million euros) and KPN (416 million euros) who bought the lion's share of the auctioned radio frequencies. The 5G auction included the 700 MHz radio frequency, which is internationally recognized as the standard for the new generation of mobile networks.

The first 5G-ready subscriptions are already being sold by the major providers, but we will hardly notice that 5G has been switched on today. The fact that the transition to 5G goes almost unnoticed is mainly due to the fact that devices that support 5G support are hardly in circulation in the Netherlands. There is still no national coverage and the speed gain is still minimal. 5G is currently only available to KPN users in the Randstad and Eindhoven. T-mobile has indicated that it will have covered about 90% of the Netherlands with the 5G network by the end of this year. The remaining 10% will not be realized until the end of 2023.

VodafoneZiggo already claims to have nationwide 5G coverage, but that is a bit of fake news. They use the existing 4G network to offer 5G technology. The 5G with great speeds and few delays will only be available and offered after 2022.

5G does not affect the operation of regular apps. They will not behave differently with 5G*.


*The only exception is IoT apps linked to security cameras, as these smart cameras use the new 5G network.

Fun fact: in recent years there has been heavily invested in cameras that can use 5G networks. Smart cameras currently hold more than 70% market share in the 5G IoT market. It is estimated that there will be around 2023 million 15,8G-connected IoT camera systems by the end of 5. After 2023, the market share of 'smart' connected security cameras and applications will drop to 32% and connected cars will take the lead with a market share of 39%.